Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Slogging through

So, in my writing today I had to actually stop and think about a scene before I could write it. Usually I just fly by the seat of my pants, but I found myself staring stupidly at part 4, looking for a way to get myself where I wanted to go. After breakfast, a cup of coffee (a LARGE one, at that), a small snack, lunch, and idly distracting myself on mySpace and Facebook, I finally convinced myself to step back and just think about my next move. It worked, this time, and I was able to push through to the next bit, but it was slow going. I still have trouble figuring out how I managed to write over 50K in roughly 20 days and then only 30K in the last three months. It just flowed so easy in November. I guess that must be because I had no plan when I started and now I have too many things I want to put in. It will be a struggle to fit everything into part four, but with careful editing later, 4 semi-equal parts should be achievable. In my rewrite of the 2nd half of part one I managed to expand it to 28K and some change.

As I was rereading part 1 I started remembering what I loved about the story so much. It was nice to get that feeling back, especially with the improvements I made. I actually got harrangued for staying up too late working on it. LOL. Hey, artists suffer for their art all the time, right?

Anyway, I think I will do a bit more writing before I post an updated word count. I broke the 80K mark, but that is all I will tell you for now.

Oh, just to give you a more tangible idea of what my word counts mean, part one is 60.5 pages in a word document and that is 25,312 words. And yes, that is single spaced. It just cracks me up thinking about how thick a printout of a double-spaced manuscript must be. One of my friends found out the hard way just how much paper that is when he printed it out! LMAO.

So, this is me today. A bit tired and not at all motivated to work on the book, but I'm doing it anyway. I hear tell that other *published* authors go through the same thing but just make themselves do it. I figure if it works for them, why not me too?

1 comment:

glimmerite said...

I am glad to see that you are still working on it. I hear that the creative process is a long one. :)