Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Hitting the Mark

So, in the last week or so I've accomplished little on the book, however, I am proud to say that I just broke 10k words on Part 4! Officially I have under 14,000 words to write before I hit my goal of 100k, but the end is so near I can almost taste it. But, much to my dismay, I'm finding that the more I write on part 4, the more I feel like there is too much story left for 14k to contain. I'm almost dreading to reach 100k only to be looking at another 25k still to be done. So I've decided that when part 4 is done I will do the editing on part 2 just to give myself a bit of distance from the seemingly endless story I'm weaving. Sometimes it feels like I'm knitting a scarf that will never quite be done; like I just need to add one more row to make it perfect, but that one row turns into 50, and so on and so forth. When I started part 4 it felt like there was a light at the end of the tunnel, as the saying goes. Now it seems like it was a horrible april fool's joke or something.

But never fear, I will not lose heart. Last time I tried to tackle a huge writing project like this I didn't know what I was getting into and just wasn't in a place (mentally and maturity-wise) where I could go the distance. I'm a bit more informed on the whole process this time and I like to think my writing has improved a bit in the last 10 years. So that gives me hope. Also, I am refusing to quit on this project. Even if the story never sees the flourescent light of a publishers office or an agent's desk, I will know for myself that I can, in fact, write a novel.

Word count to come later tonight.

No comments: